Labor and Business (In Progress)
-  An article in the Sacramento Daily Record-Union describes how a jute factory in Oakland was forced to hire cheap Chinese laborers so they could compete with jute factories in Calcutta. A fascinating document of labor, immigration, and global trade. [Sacramento Daily Record-Union, Sep 17 1881, p4, cols3-4, "A Case Illustrating Many Things"]
-  A South Asian man seeks work as a hotel porter or pantry worker in the pages of the San Francisco Call: "A young East Indian would like a position as porter in hotel or pantry work." [San Francisco Call, Dec 16 1899, p12, col 3, "Employment Wanted—Male"]
-  Ad for a South Asian cook printed in the pages of the San Francisco Call. "WANTED— An East Indian who thoroughly understands the making and serving of curries; will pay good wages to experienced man." [San Francisco Call, Dec 11 1901, p11, "Help Wanted—Male"]
-  A South Asian man advertises for work in the pages of the San Francisco Chronicle. "An honest East Indian, 26 years old, with fair education in Persian, Afghanese and Hindustani languages, and who reads, writes, and speaks English and Spanish, desires to work for a private family or U.S. office; understands something about English cookery and knows all about the Turkish and Persian cookery; is willing to do work of any kind in such a place. K. K., 607 California at. SF" [SF Chronicle, June 18 1905, p42, "Situations Wanted—Male"]
-  A South Asian bookkeeper advertises for work in the pages of the San Francisco Call. "Position by an energetic and reliable East Indian A1 book keeper, with thorough knowledge of auditing; systematic and accurate at trial balances; good correspondent and general office man; can furnish best of references and bond, if required; prefer with bankIng corporation or wholesale house in city or country; salary no object to start with." [San Francisco Call, Aug 5 1907, p11, "Employment Wanted—Male"]
- [1960s-1970s?] Berkeley's University Avenue business district founded. See Sara Marcellino's 2003 thesis Connecting a heterolocal ethnic community: Berkeley's Asian Indian shopping district for history and details. The Berkeley Historical Society ran a walking tour of the district in 2000.